Bookmark and Share

Monday, April 14, 2014

Days 11, 12, 13 April Poem A Day!!


Friends, thank you to all who have tweeted for this blog. I am still not really thinking about much with my husband still in the hospital!! However, I did write poems for the last three days and due to my schedule I didn't post them. So here they are now. 


April 11, 2014
Prompt: Write a statement for your title and then write a poem about the statement.


YOU CAN BE HAPPY IN MISERY
I tell myself this as I prepare
to spend my day in the company
of a morose man
who knows illness like a lover
and longs to break it’s spell on him
He moves gingerly from bed to
chair and back seeking comfort
for his hospital weary body
while I try to bring the day to him
Trying with patience and diligence
to move him closer to the man he was
and finding his actions like a movie
exist separate from me.
Trying, so trying to build a wall of
happiness around me to insulate
my susceptible psyche against the
misfortune emanating from his
weak body
Trying with a poem to squeeze happiness
from this experience
Concentrating on the new growing
daffodils as they decorate winter weary
spaces and remembering past springs
and the daffodils in our front yard so
many years ago.
copyright 2014 by Barbara Ehrentreu


April 12, 2014
Prompt: Write a city poem

Thoughts on My Birth City
You birthed me
and I landed on your
concrete streets
thinking this was my
playground as in my
youth I roamed the
neighborhood bordered
by the smells of Schenectady Avenue
pickles and chicken entrails
and the traffic on Utica Avenue
My world decorated with chalk
where we played potsy and bounce
the ball our Spaulding’s rubber ball
moving toward the shiny penny
sitting on the crack
copyright 2014 by Barbara Ehrentreu

April 13, 2014
Prompt: Write about your favorite animal

My Lion Obsession
Whenever I see a lion in repose
I feel peaceful
and I know that this majestic animal
lives inside of me
It surfaced years ago and now I wear
a gold medallion around my neck
reminding me of the power inside myself
and the beauty of the lion
I know if I met a lion in the wild
I, not being so brave, might not
want to spend any time with it
but still I admire it from afar
in photos and statues
Being near these photos
and statues brings out the lion
in me causing my dormant roar
to emerge and then my quiet exterior
transforms into the power of a lion
and those times you want to stay
far from me, for I am as a lion
Fierce and dominant and fighting
for the ones I love.
copyright 2014 by Barbara Ehrentreu

Until the next time, I will continue to write as long as I can. It helps to channel the feelings I have into my poetry and though I am still not one hundred per cent happy, at least there is poetry. Thank goodness for April!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing