Bookmark and Share

Friday, June 26, 2009

Reality Shows - Why Are They So Popular


For Postcard Friendship Friday on Cpaphil Vintage Postcards I found this postcard sent to me by my exchange student from France. This is a photo of a place close to her home. I love the swans swimming in the mirror-like lake.


My Article is Published!!!

I wanted everyone to know that my article, "Reality Shows - Why Are They So Popular" has been published on EzineArticles.com. I'll print a little bit of it for you here, but please go and read the whole article. I am very happy that they chose to publish it and also have conferred on me the title of Expert Author! Here is a part of it:

Reality Shows - Why Are They So Popular
by Barbara Ehrentreu
Shows like "The Soup" with Joel McHale make fun of reality shows while being on the same network as they are. There is an entire network devoted only to showing reality shows, The Reality Show Network. Activities from tattoo parlors to motorcycle places are on reality shows. Many times these shows actually interact with each other as in a recent episode of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" where Jon wanted to get a motorcycle and he went to the Motorcycle Guys where he put together his own custom made cycle. Then they delivered the cycle and made one for Kate. Being Kate she decided to ride it and then donate it to a charity, McDonald House. Meanwhile, the Motorcycle Guys, who have their own show were also featured on this one.

So many people watch this show that after the last episode when Jon and Kate decided to get these Crooked Houses for the kids, the manufacturers of the houses received a lot of business from viewers who had seen the houses and wanted them. On one of the older episodes Jon and Kate answered emails from viewers. They get endless emails and when they go out in public as Kate is now doing on her book signing tour, fans are always there. What makes these shows so popular? Should we examine this phenomenon to see if there is anything to be learned from it? Or is it just the armchair mentality of people who once sat on their front porches and viewed the activities of their neighbors? Are people becoming armchair voyeurs? Read more...


As Featured On EzineArticles



How do you feel about these shows? Hope to hear from you. Until the next time, Happy Postcard Friendship Friday.


3 comments:

  1. Howdy
    Just wanted to drop by and wish you a very happy PFF :)
    I really liked the postcard that you shared in honor of our sweet hostess Marie.
    Congratulations on your article being published.
    You must be so excited.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara!! Congratulation on getting your article published! You must be jumping for joy. We don't have reality shows here but I do remember being addicted to the very first season of MTV's the Real World. I always thought that it was nice to have a show where problems weren't resolved in a neat little 30 minute sitcom package. I know that the majority of reality shows are quite ridiculous now but in the early stages of the phenomenon I felt that I was learning how to deal with conflict along with the 'real' people I was watching. It was interesting to watch how such a diverse melange of people learn from each other! Happy PFF my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Barbara! Congrats to you on getting published..
    debby

    ReplyDelete

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing