Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gathering interesting tidbits of information



I'm starting my post tonight with something that was forwarded to me. I think it covers two very important topics that we have all been thinking about. I haven't talked much about my political beliefs here, but I have always been against torture and for science.:) I think this cartoon combines the two feelings in one very well done package. Tell me what you think.


It's a little early for me to be posting, but I have so much to tell you that I decided to try to write when I was more alert. So here goes.

First of all, welcome to all of the new readers who have joined since yesterday. It's great to see so many people here. Please leave a comment and let me know who you are. If you have a blog, please leave me the link so I can read yours too. Apropos of that I want to let you know about a great contest for a DVD by Dr. Stan Gardner, on the blog called "Not Entirely British". This DVD is not out yet and will sell for $49.99. Go and check it all out and enter if you want it.

http://www.annebradshaw.blogspot.com/

*Just a note here. 
I want everyone to know that I am not supporting the beliefs of this blog, though I respect her beliefs. I am Jewish, so this is not my belief. But we are all bloggers together here and I'm supporting a fellow blogger. I am interested in learning more about other people's beliefs. Being a writer means that you want to learn as much as you can about everyone and everything. So go and see her blog and enjoy it.

I can't believe it, but I have joined another writing group. This one is on Facebook and it is called: the Children's Writers and Illustrators Group.

When I got there I realized that most of the group contained my friends. :) If you are a writer it doesn't matter if you are published or not you can join in either case. If you are published you can post and put your cover or your artwork on the board. If you aren't published you can tell about your book there too. The group just started so I have no idea where it is going, but it's good to have a group for children's writers here. Simon Rose, who is a member of one of my favorite groups, Real Writing Teachers, put me onto this and I joined immediately. The group has hundreds of members already like Real Writing Teachers, which was started by Robert Redmond who started his group with only about five people and it's grown to over fifteen hundred, a group can grow! So if you're on Facebook and you're either a writer or an illustrator for children here is the place to show your work. Go over and see if it's for you.

Time for the blog I am highlighting today and it's going to be: Heart's Desire Jewelry by Anne Marie. Her last post is for men who need help finding the perfect jewelry gift for their sweetheart for Valentine's Day. I loved her choices and could have spent a great deal more time clicking on each of the pictures. The photos show off the jewelry beautifully. I can honestly say that I would take any of those pieces of jewelry as a gift. 

Anne Marie is very talented and she has won prizes for her work. She has been nominated for an award and has posted the photo of the piece of jewelry on the blog. I love this piece and though I think it might be a little too large for me to wear, it's beautiful. The work is delicate and the colors remind me of the sea. She calls it "Ripples on the Floor of a Reflecting Pool" and it has been nominated as a semi-finalist in the KGI Worldwide Design Contest 2009. I could go on and on about the jewelry pictured here, but go and see it for yourself. 

She is also having a contest for a beautiful heart pendant necklace and if you are interested in entering this go right away and do it. I forgot and when I got there she had 185 comments all for entering the contest. I don't blame them. The necklace is really beautiful with a copper pendant and pink crystal bead necklace. Go and see it.  Also while you're there read the earlier posts, because Anne Marie is already a double winner for another jewelry contest! Congratulations Anne Marie. 

Just heard about a horrible bus accident with thirteen cars that was a mile long pile up. How horrible was that? There's no real word about it, but my heart goes out to all the people involved in that accident. I've been in too many accidents myself and even a tap can cause a problem. I'll never forget I was driving a much-loved Saab on the highway and it was bumper to bumper. I was exhausted and when the cars stopped I closed my eyes for a little cat nap, opening them when traffic started again. Well, I guess I put my foot on the wrong pedal and inched up with my foot on the gas instead of the brake. There was a huge SUV in front of me and I tapped it. Well that tap didn't do any damage to the SUV, although the driver got out and wrung his hands finding a tiny scrape. But my poor Saab was too low and it caused a dent in the hood. Not thinking much about it, I started driving without exchanging any info with the driver. I was in the middle of traffic and there was no policeman around. Plus, I was on my way to work as a teacher and didn't want to be late. So we let it go and as soon as I started driving the hood popped up blocking my view. I wound up tying it with a borrowed bungee cord. I can't imagine how awful these people feel. I hope there are no major injuries. But a mile long fender bender accident has to have been devastating for the first few cars. More tomorrow. Or else you will probably hear about it. More about my other accidents in the future.:)

Please leave a comment and let me know your feelings about anything here. 

 .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbara! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog and for all the beautiful comments on my work. I never get tired of those! I love reading all about your world :)

    ReplyDelete

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing